Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Me again - transom rot?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2021 :  20:47:49  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all, and apologies for the bombardment.

I've been carrying on with sanding down the paint from my engine outboard bay. In the process, I removed the metal plates where the outboard would sit, and of course, gave the transom a poke while I was at it.

There's a definite cracking where the transom meets the outboard bay, and below it, the transom itself has some give in it. If I push, it moves - a little, but it moves.

I've seen a few posts on here of some length detailing the transom troubles affecting these boats and the necessary repairs...and judging by the state of my boat, I wouldn't put much money on mine being problem-free. But what do you chaps think?

Thanks!

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2021 :  08:42:59  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The line in the bottom pic just above your fingers is quite normal as they are separate mouldings bonded together, best check is to drill a hole (behind the plate would be a good spot) and see if the wood inside is vaguely woody or more like porridge, also depends what size engine you are planning to hang on it.
If that drain fitting is easy to take out that would be a good place to probe it.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2021 :  13:04:39  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as you suggested, I removed the drain fitting, and if one sticks one's finger into the hole, it's definitely damp. However, the wood isn't particularly soft or giving way. There is absolutely moisture in there but it's not been a conclusive experiment. As for engine size, I'm very much intending to keep things gentle, so for that reason I must admit I'm tempted to just cover everything back up and pretend nothing ever happened. But the history of the boat is not good - we found her on bricks in a field filled with rainwater, so as I mentioned I'd be very surprised if everything was shipshape. On balance, I'd rather risk making an unnecessary repair than chance my engine falling off...

quote:
Originally posted by df

The line in the bottom pic just above your fingers is quite normal as they are separate mouldings bonded together, best check is to drill a hole (behind the plate would be a good spot) and see if the wood inside is vaguely woody or more like porridge, also depends what size engine you are planning to hang on it.
If that drain fitting is easy to take out that would be a good place to probe it.

Visit leomagill.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2021 :  18:52:00  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps I spoke too soon...upon further investigation, the transom appears to be made up of both a layer of thick ply and a hard layer of what may be fibreglass. As you can see, whatever surrounds this layer on either side is very soft and offers no resistance to a poke about with a screwdriver.

So this all is beginning to look like what I've seen from others here, and is not excellent news.

Go to Top of Page

IanM

United Kingdom
2237 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2021 :  07:23:00  Show Profile Send IanM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your transom has metal plates on both sides and if your intended engine is small (10 to 15HP) then I'd be inclined to screw the metal plates back on and not worry about it. When you fit the outboard make sure you bolt it through the transom as well as using the clamps and you'll have a pretty solid result (and the engine will be harder to steal).
Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2021 :  22:12:45  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, and encouraging too - thanks Ian!

quote:
Originally posted by IanM

If your transom has metal plates on both sides and if your intended engine is small (10 to 15HP) then I'd be inclined to screw the metal plates back on and not worry about it. When you fit the outboard make sure you bolt it through the transom as well as using the clamps and you'll have a pretty solid result (and the engine will be harder to steal).

Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  08:53:26  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the subject, if I were to simply replace the plates and hope for the best, what would be the best way of to seal and secure the transom, ensuring no rot affects it in future?
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  10:36:34  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a post (quite some time ago)about fixing a transom.Unfortunatly,I cant find it.
From memory,it gave two methods.
1.cutting the top fibreglass off where the outboard sits,and digging out the rotten ply with a long chisel or something,and filling with resin and matting.
2.Cutting out the fibreglass on the outside of the well section,replacing the ply,and fibreglassing over the transom.
Perhaps the webmaster can find the relevant post.9
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  10:41:11  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it's already rotten inside it will stay rotten, idealy you need to let it dry in there first before sealing anything.
One thought would be cut the top edge off and see how much you can remove through that edge until you hit solid wood then cut a load of blocks the right thickness and fill with expanding foam and as many blocks as you can get in there with it so the motor clamps properly then once full cap it off with aluminium angle or channel, it's not a proper fix by any means but fine for a smaller sized motor on rivers.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

cliveshep

Thailand
1324 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2021 :  03:27:06  Show Profile Send cliveshep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by df

If it's already rotten inside it will stay rotten, idealy you need to let it dry in there first before sealing anything.
One thought would be cut the top edge off and see how much you can remove through that edge until you hit solid wood then cut a load of blocks the right thickness and fill with expanding foam and as many blocks as you can get in there with it so the motor clamps properly then once full cap it off with aluminium angle or channel, it's not a proper fix by any means but fine for a smaller sized motor on rivers.

Visit leomagill.co.uk

Maybe I can build on your post - strips of hardwood full width extending past the wings of the motor-well with polyester resin poured in surrounding each strip and build up that way? Not ideal but at least bonded to the inner/outer grp to an extent and more of a composite and integrated structure. Would probably hold a much bigger motor than the little blocks would and would at least transfer some of the motor load into the motor-well moulding and deck structure as the original design intended?

Finally living the dream!
Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2021 :  09:29:47  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your suggestions so far. If I’m honest I think that if I do anything, I’m leaning towards doing the whole job with a belt and braces approach, so I’ve no need to worry about it again. Cliveshep, you already outlined a detailed approach when I was trying to identify the boat some months ago, and that may be the way to go. Also, as mentioned, I’ve read a fantastic post on here with lots of pictures of someone who’d done a similar repair, and I’m sure that will be very useful.
Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2021 :  12:25:25  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This post, incidentally : http://normanboats.net/snitz_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6954&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=transom

Perhaps it was this to which you were referring, Mad Harold?
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2021 :  12:39:14  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeing an old post dug like that reminds me why I didn't want to see this site disappear when we lost Trevor.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

cliveshep

Thailand
1324 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2021 :  18:33:48  Show Profile Send cliveshep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crikey - I'd forgotten all about that one from what, 8 years ago?
I was Tech advising on the old Dawncraft site at that time.

Do you remember Malc, Dave F? I think he appeared on this site too from time to time.

He was some character - perfected the art of the 50 pence bodge and did his boating on the sort of budget most of us would cavil at for maintaining a bicycle!

Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2021 :  19:34:06  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes Clive, did you ever meet him face to face? You'd never forget...
I liked the guy but he was hard work, I hope he's still doing fine.
He took offense at a minor dig here and started to delete everything he ever posted which broke a lot of threads and went down badly but I do have lot of respect for the bloke.
Last time I saw hime was in lincoln boat club and for some reason he thought I might hit him, I was sixteen last time I hit anyone and that was only because I was getting my face panned in at the time (it still shows..), I'm not the sort to hit people...(aka complete wuss)
I got bored and left him with a scandanivian guy who holds it against me...
For boating on a budget he is still my all time hero.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

cliveshep

Thailand
1324 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2021 :  05:32:46  Show Profile Send cliveshep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was really in a mental state of complete and constant paranoia and insecurity and had to be handled gently because he had no resilience to overcome hurts at perceived or imagined insults poor man.

But he was a star in the "boating under £1" club without a doubt.

I hope he's ok these days.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000