Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Fixing fibreglass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2021 :  15:50:21  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi folks, and thanks for your continued help.

One of the big challenges I'm facing with my boat is the state of the fibreglass. There's a lot wrong, ranging from smaller cracks and breaks to large areas where the fibreglass structure if the boat appears to be coming away from the wood beneath it. I'm not entirely sure what the cause is here, as there's obviously been a lot of fairly unskilled work carried out in the past, and this also make it a little difficult to assess how it ought to be and how it's meant to be fixed.

In general terms though - and for a layman if possible - how does one go about approaching something of this nature? Is it within the grasp of an amateur?

Thanks again!

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2021 :  18:09:33  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you sure that it is fibreglass?
At the risk of showing my ignorance,it looks more like plastic (ABS possibly)
I have not seen fibreglass deteriorate like your pictures,as the matting usually will hold it together,and yours has bits falling off.
Perhaps more pictures of a larger area would help to elicit some responses.
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2021 :  20:56:26  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like someone has knocked bonded ply off the back causing damage to the grp in the process, is the ragged bottom edges definately grp or is it the surface of painted ply?
The bit in the piccie with the bolt poking through looks like it's been glassed over before as it's not a getcoat type of finish.
The tidyest way is probably to cut the edge closer to the top with a cutting disk to give a nicer edge.
It does add to the theory that it has had a cabin removed, just not very nicely done.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2021 :  09:51:51  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a couple more pictures of the area in situ, which or may not may be of use.

Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2021 :  09:54:01  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Harold - sorry, I'm pretty new to this sort of work so I've very likely used an incorrect term here. It's certainly different in feel and finish to the fibrous stuff that makes up the internals of the hull structure. It's a lot smoother.

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Harold

Are you sure that it is fibreglass?
At the risk of showing my ignorance,it looks more like plastic (ABS possibly)
I have not seen fibreglass deteriorate like your pictures,as the matting usually will hold it together,and yours has bits falling off.
Perhaps more pictures of a larger area would help to elicit some responses.

Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2021 :  10:03:30  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting - I've had a look and the ragged edges are made of what look to me to be very thin fibreglass weave and paint, essentially. They're very brittle - enough to bend and snap off with your fingers.

quote:
Originally posted by df

It looks like someone has knocked bonded ply off the back causing damage to the grp in the process, is the ragged bottom edges definately grp or is it the surface of painted ply?
The bit in the piccie with the bolt poking through looks like it's been glassed over before as it's not a getcoat type of finish.
The tidyest way is probably to cut the edge closer to the top with a cutting disk to give a nicer edge.
It does add to the theory that it has had a cabin removed, just not very nicely done.

Visit leomagill.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2021 :  10:42:25  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those pics make more sense, aft cabin removed and a rough attempt to mould in new edges to continue the lines.
I'd take a cut from the outside as high as possible starting somewhere you can make a good transition and bond good wood to the inside level with the grp cut line and cap it with a nicely rounded piece of hardwood, it's what I did to my old norman 25, I'll find some pics when I get a chance.
Trying to fix over a bodge will still be a bodge and will come back to bite you sometime.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2021 :  11:32:16  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can see how mine was framed before cutting Piers.
I did end up with a row of screws on the outside but they didn't look too bad, also used epoxy resin to bond the wooden battens.

And how I did the transition from grp moulding to wood trim.

The lower section that was set further in was done with the same wood, edges rounded with a router and a 4mm slot along the top where the upper trim panels slotted in.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2021 :  18:56:45  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is terrific, thank you, and what brilliant work. I'll use your example as the way forward.

Incidentally, when you did your chop, did you notice similar big bolts sticking out of the sides into the cockpit, such as the ones shown in my photos? And if so, did you work out what they were for? Did they somehow hold a part of the cabin roof on perhaps?

Thanks again.

quote:
Originally posted by df

You can see how mine was framed before cutting Piers.
I did end up with a row of screws on the outside but they didn't look too bad, also used epoxy resin to bond the wooden battens.

And how I did the transition from grp moulding to wood trim.

The lower section that was set further in was done with the same wood, edges rounded with a router and a 4mm slot along the top where the upper trim panels slotted in.

Visit leomagill.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2021 :  20:56:54  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking at the position I recon those bolts were used for a canopy pole, likely a big U shape going over the top from bolt to bolt.
It you are goung for a full canopy work out the geometry for the poles thinking about when folded as well as up, I had mine on sliding mounts so it had a full clear opening when up to get in and out but they were out of the way when down without hanging over the back.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2021 :  22:47:52  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That makes sense. I think I’ve a way to go before considering such luxuries as canopies, but it’s still good to get an idea of what I’ll need to consider - thank you once more for your expertise!

quote:
Originally posted by df

Looking at the position I recon those bolts were used for a canopy pole, likely a big U shape going over the top from bolt to bolt.
It you are goung for a full canopy work out the geometry for the poles thinking about when folded as well as up, I had mine on sliding mounts so it had a full clear opening when up to get in and out but they were out of the way when down without hanging over the back.

Visit leomagill.co.uk

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000