Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Black transom coating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2021 :  10:10:24  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Morning all.

Would anyone please be able to identify the black coating that is currently on my transom? It isn't particularly paint-like...it's very matte looks more functional than aesthetic. Is there any reason for it being there? Is it an original feature of Normans?

Thanks!

Piers

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  15:31:45  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Piers, it looks a bit like the black bitumen type paint that is used on the bottom of steel boats, maybe someones idea of protection from water for the already waterproof grp.
I'd scrape it off if it's easy enough to shift and leave it in bare gelcoat if it looks good enough.
Is that hydraulic steering you have there? Unusual on a little Norman.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  20:02:29  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by df

Hi Piers, it looks a bit like the black bitumen type paint that is used on the bottom of steel boats, maybe someones idea of protection from water for the already waterproof grp.
I'd scrape it off if it's easy enough to shift and leave it in bare gelcoat if it looks good enough.
Is that hydraulic steering you have there? Unusual on a little Norman.

Visit leomagill.co.uk

Hi Dave - glad to hear you don't think it's necessary, I'm keen to get it off! Any recommendations as to method? I've seen any number of different chemicals advised, and sanding/scraping also, but only if the gelcoat is going to be painted over...

...and yes, it is indeed hydraulic steering. I didn't twig that it was a peculiarity of my boat but it makes sense - I'm beginning to realise that there's really not much of my boat that is standard issue!
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  20:11:15  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd try a gentle scrape over the top to get the thichness down and see what something like a bit of petrol on a rag does to it, looks like it'd probably shift it with minimal damage, you have to be very careful with paint strippers on grp.
If that steering gives any trouble a regular cable setup would be the easier and cheaper way to go as long as the route is clear enough, obviously cables can't do tight bends where hydraulic can.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  21:26:51  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by df

I'd try a gentle scrape over the top to get the thichness down and see what something like a bit of petrol on a rag does to it, looks like it'd probably shift it with minimal damage, you have to be very careful with paint strippers on grp.
If that steering gives any trouble a regular cable setup would be the easier and cheaper way to go as long as the route is clear enough, obviously cables can't do tight bends where hydraulic can.

Visit leomagill.co.uk

Okay, great, I’ll do that and see how I get on. Thanks for the advice Dave.
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  23:43:04  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a disclaimer:
Trust me I'm not a doctor, or a petrochemicals expert, it may all go bang, or go perfectly....

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2021 :  20:02:22  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A brief update on this for anyone interested:

Petrol didn't shift it, and trying to steer clear of the environmentally-unfriendly chemical route, I've employed greater and lesser amounts of manual force through a scraper, a chisel, some 60-grit sandpaper, and some wet 600-grit. It must be said that the chisel stage was undertaken with caution. In any case, the results so far are below, in which you may hopefully detect definite areas in which the 600-grit has, by and large, removed the scratches and defects created by the previous stages, and which are beginning to look just about civilised. A long way to go, but progress, I think.

And I've come across a suggestion that the matte black paint is to mask the fume-stains from the engine. Judge that how you like, but it could be true.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000