Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Problem page.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2022 :  19:39:09  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being (temorarily hopefully) boatless, I am perusing the forum and wow! what a wealth of knowledge and experience there is. Am particularly interested in Colin's outboard lifting device.Could be most useful if the impeller needs replacing and if it's not possible to get your boat out of the water.Will certainly look into that, when and if I get my next boat.
Looking at current ads, there are at least a dozen or more Norman 20s for sale, a few rather overpriced sad looking 22s and a couple of 23s again looking like varying stages of project. Don't mind a bit of work, but not a full on project.
Ideally a fully equipped boat ready for use.I can hope! I remember someone saying ( I think it was DF) "the boat that needs nothing doing to it has yet to be built"
Quite right, but there doesn't seem to be many 6'-10" cruisers for sale at present, except Norman 20s, which I have just sold only because my back is getting bad with age, and a few nights on my 20 in it's tiny cabin, and I can't straighten up for a few days.
There does seem to be quite a few wider cruisers available, and usually cheaper than the narrowbeams, but Seamasters and Birchwood although lovely boats are 8ft+ beam, so narrow canals are out.
However I could I think live without cruising narrow canals, as I am in Huddersfield the one I would miss is theHNC.Although because of water shortage (for the past two years) It is more often closed than open.
It leaves the Huddersfield Broad, the Calder and Hebble, The Rochdale (when it's open) The Bridgewater.
Going East, the Aire and Calder and the South yorkshire waterways.
The Macc and Peak Forest would be out of bounds too, but reading about all the stoppages I don't think I will be missing much.

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  12:14:35  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I could go back to narrowbeam boats now after getting used to having space (mines is about 11' wide), my old 25 was fairly comfy headroom wise as the floor was angled at the edges to give a good height down the centre.
Hows the river cruising around your way? If you can get to the aire & calder I assume you can get to the ouse in which case anything with 20hp upwards and a good anchor (although I believe the route avoiding trent falls is widebeam) would open up the trent and witham/fossdyke for you.
I do get a bit bored on the same bits of the broads but don't miss locks one little bit.
You are right in that if you buy someones finished boat you will still want to change something straight away, we all want different things in our boats and they are all a comprimise.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000