Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Reverse anti-tilt lock problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2022 :  16:14:38  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right - my brand new 2005 Tohatsu 9.8 hp motor is on the boat and I took it for a test run. Has anyone had any problems with this motor, involving the anti-tilt lock mechanism to prevent the engine rising out of the water under its own power when in reverse? Mine appears not to be working. I have the workshop manual but it doesn't seem to include any way of adjusting the linkage. Grateful for any help!

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2022 :  20:25:27  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are usually linked in to the gear selector Tom so they can lift in neutral or forward if you hit something but locked for reverse, sorry can't help any more that that as not familiar with that engine.
My old 8hp yam was just a spring locked setup that would let go if hit hard enough, that had a habit of jumping up if reversed hard.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2022 :  21:52:44  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, df. Mine jumped up so hard that it went into the fully "up" position and locked there! Didn't half make me jump. I'll be on the boat tomorrow, with the workshop manual, so I'll be seeing if I can work out what's wrong. I have a couple of ideas for things to try.
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2022 :  23:13:51  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the same motor Tom. Not had any problems, but it may be that the pin that locks the motor down in reverse has "burred" by perhaps not engaging properly.
I am not aware if it can be adjusted, but as has been said,it is activated by the reverse lever ( on the engine) so this needs checking.
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2022 :  08:01:17  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On most outboards the pin is removable as it is used to set the trim position often with just a drop nose to hold it in place, has it gone awol?

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2022 :  19:35:45  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I might have an answer. I need to alter the tilt of the motor first, as at the moment, the leg isn't perpendicular to the water surface. I then have to adjust the sliding "stopper" on the shift rod. I think I know what needs doing, and will have a go tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2022 :  09:45:58  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a pull out button on the stbd side which gives three tilt position to get the leg perpendicular.
Adjusting the gear shift rod may fix your problem.Perhaps allowing enough movement to change gear,but not enough to completely engage the reverse lock.
Please let us know what happens.
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2022 :  10:33:40  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say if the same as this the sprung pin circled to the right needs to be in place and the other circle has the catch that is adjusted by moving the black stop on the gear rod so the pin is fully grabbed when in reverse.
If partially tilted for shallow water the catch would not work, any trim angle needs to be adjusted by the sprung pin.

Visit leomagill.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2022 :  10:57:12  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, df and MH. My motor has the three-position knob for adjusting the trim, and I hadn't noticed that the motor, when I fitted it a few days ago, wasn't perpendicular to the water surface, so that's the first thing I'll be adjusting later this morning, before moving on to the adjustment of the stop on the gear-rod. I'll let you know how I get on!
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2022 :  12:18:26  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That push button is likely shallow water adjustment and the reason why it's not staying down then, the catch needs to be on the proper pin.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2022 :  17:25:16  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right - all done! My trim adjustment is a 3-position knob, as described by MH, giving three positions about an inch apart. The motor wasn't perpendicular to the water surface, so moved it to the middle preset position and it was just right. The black stop on the shift rod was able to turn and slip down, so after 5 minutes slight adjustment to it, and tightening it up properly when finished, I found it all works! Went out for a test run, for half an hour, changing from forward to reverse, using reverse to stop the boat etc. and all good.

MH and df - thanks you very much for your advice. Really grateful to you.

Edited by - Tom Morgan on 28 Apr 2022 17:30:51
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2022 :  19:20:35  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Tohatsu is a 2018 model, and the handbook is as DF has posted.It says not to engage reverse when in the shallow water position. However,I have used reverse several times in a shallow water position (I was2 on the Huddersfield shallow)and all worked fine. I wonder if the handbook is referring to an earlier model of outboard,and the handbook hasn't been updated.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2022 :  20:25:58  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine has a three-position button on the Starboard side. It allows for three trim positions. Instructions are for adjusting the trim angle. (In the section on tilting the motor, the manual also warns against using reverse in the shallow water setting.)

Edited by - Tom Morgan on 30 Apr 2022 20:38:03
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2022 :  11:21:10  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I can only say I have used reverse in the shallow water position and it worked fine.
As it was shallow water I was only pootling along at tickover speed or a little more,Maybe giving a burst of power in the shallow water position is not recommended.Anyway, I have now sold my boat and am looking for a Norman 23 Mk3.
Boats that three or four years ago were changing hands for £3-5K are now asking £8-10K! Bugger!maybe I should have kept my old boat. #128560;
Go to Top of Page

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2022 :  17:07:08  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did it too, MH, the other day, when reversing into my mooring-spot between two other boats. Engaged reverse with a burst to stop the boat and the motor shot out of the water and dropped back down into what I think was the shallow position. Prop was under the water. It was either keep going or hit boats, so I motored back on tickover - about 20 feet. (This was when the reverse tilt lock was causing me problems.) I agree with you about boat prices at the moment.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000