Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Achieving a good painted finish
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2021 :  19:07:22  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all. I'm (still) working on my engine bay. Some may recall that it was once covered in thick black paint. I'm at a stage where I've given a good once-over with heavy-grit paper to remove all the black paint that was on there before, and I've achieved a very smooth result in one experimental patch with some wetted fine-grit paper.

However, the bay is scratched and dented enough taht I'll have to do some repairs/filling, and after the sanding there are certain areas where bare fibreglass is showing. So it looks like I'll have to sand throughly, and then paint the engine bay. How then to achieve a good finish? I'm entirely new to this so feel free to speak in basic terms. Need one sand right down to bare fibreglass across the whole engine bay, or simply achieve a roughly uniform key? Would you sand in between multiple coats? And varnish after?

Thanks for any tips.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000