Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Today's purchase - brand new 2005 outboard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2021 :  14:37:21  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My old Honda was getting tired and creaky (like myself.) I now have a brand new 2005 Tohatsu 9.8hp electric/pull start (originally purchased in 2005 and never used). Fluids put in so I could see it start and run. It came with control unit, cables, manuals, all the bits that came new in the box, 12 litre fuel tank and fuel line all unused. Seller threw in a 12 volt gel battery and even a bit of guarantee. It seems too nice to stick it in the Staffs and Worcs, though. Having no experience of such refined motors, I might have a few questions and hope you'll bear with me.

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2021 :  09:10:44  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will be interesting to see how you get on with it on the ditches Tom, take loads a close up piccies of it before you fit it as it makes questions easier and you don't have to go to the boat each time.
Should be a good motor for a 23'.
Can we ask how much?

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2021 :  10:01:35  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a really good idea about the photos! I'll certainly do that. I paid £1350 for it.
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2021 :  10:07:46  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recon you got a bargain as long as it's been stored well, worth doing an oil and filter change fairly soon and cut the filter open to check for any signs of internal corrosion just in case, it would show as rust particles in the filter element (a magnet can help), a few metal traces is quite normal on a new engine (it's part of running it in) as long as not rust.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2021 :  22:05:56  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the same engine,and it doesn't have an oil filter as such,but an oil strainer.
Have looked and looked and removed a couple of things that looked likely,but no oil strainer.The book is not very helpful in that there is an arrow pointing vaguely at the bottom of the engine.
I havn't taken the engine off,so perhaps Tom might be able to find it before he fits it to his boat.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2021 :  12:43:39  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here. The owners manual doesn't refer to the oil strainer at all, but I know what it looks like, as there are photos of it in spares catalogues etc. Still have the ourboard at home, on a stand so will have a good look for it!
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2021 :  14:42:05  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If MFS9.8A2 then the strainer looks to be internal, that is a shame, my mariner 9.9 had a spin on filter.
Make sure you do regular oil changes in that case.(each season)

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2021 :  19:28:18  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Think it's on the port side at the back under the thermostat housing.There is another bolt nearer the front described as a plunger,don't know what that does.
You need to remove the plastic fairing on the leg(two screws)
If you find this elusive filter,please let us know.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2021 :  09:44:53  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just for those who were wondering - oil strainer location.

Edited by - Tom Morgan on 22 Sep 2021 09:53:08
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2021 :  10:33:14  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a regular service item then, stick regular oil changes.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2021 :  11:46:44  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tom.No wonder I couldn't find it.Looks like a job to be done on major service.
Quite surprised that they couldn't find room to fit a spin on filter.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000