Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Tohatsu 9.8 hp outboard - propeller questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  22:38:03  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never failed to get good advice here and have acted upon it every time. I just bought a Tohatsu 9.8 hp outboard for my Norman 23, for use on canals. The seller bought it as a backup on his 25-foot sailing Folkboat but used it for only three hours before deciding that it wasn't powerful enough. The supplier had fitted a 4-blade high thrust sailboat propeller.
I have two questions:
Would this prop be suitable for use on my boat, on canals?
If not, could anyone tell me the size of the Tohatsu propeller I should replace it with?
As always, I'll be grateful for any advice.
Tom

Edited by - Tom Morgan on 06 Sep 2021 22:39:53

df

United Kingdom
5988 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2021 :  08:03:18  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I fitted a 4 blade prop to the mariner 9.9 on my old 25 and it made it more manouverable for sure, I got good sizing advice from stainless steel developments who were bang on and a good price so if the price is right go for it, you can always swap the prop afterwards (does he have the original still?).
The prop they sold me had a separate hub with 3 nylon filled spring things that acted as a shear pin in case of impact (came with 3 spares too)which also meant swapping sizes was cheaper as only the outer section was needed, that was about 18 years ago though.
Most of the high thrust outboards had a different reduction ratio on the lower gear casing so a high thrust prop on a regular version would be the wrong mix and on some wouldn't actually fit as the high thrust prop was a bigger diameter, I seem to remember someone on here (Brian Lynn?) having a mariner big foot (their name for high thrust) on a 23 and getting on fine.
Make sure it's a longshaft.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2021 :  22:00:19  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks you df. It is a longshaft, electric and manual start. I'll see how we get on with the high thrust prop, as it's already on the motor.
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2021 :  09:30:06  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have a Tohatsu 8hp on my Norman 20 and it is more than adequate on canals.
Flat out indicates 8kts on the Sumlog.
Guessing on a 23 you should get 6kts.
I think the 8hp and 9.8 are the same engine with probably a restrictor in the 8.
PS I have sent you a PM regarding your solar controller
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5988 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2021 :  10:18:41  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
8kt sounds a lot from an 8hp on a 20, that's good going.
Remember at displacement speed the longer the hull the faster the hull speed for the same hp is the general rule, once it's moving weight is not an issue, stopping however is another matter.
I seem to recall the tohatsu is very close to being yamaha/mariner.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2021 :  13:27:22  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't find any reference to Tohatsu being linked to Yamaha or Mariner,but small Tohatsu outboards are re-branded as Mercury and all Nissan outboards are made by Tohatsu.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000