Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Headroom in a Norman 23
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2021 :  15:03:56  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Selling my Norman 20 sadly because some years ago while doing the garden my back suddenly seized up.Was laid up for a week and even then getting in the car was agony.
Last trip was a week long and with stooping inand out of the cabin I could feel my back threatening to seize up and had to resort to the undignified walking in and out of the cabin on my knees.will break my heart to part with her as we have been all over (a bit of) the country,Marsden,Brighouse,Sowerby Bridge,Dewsbury but my next trip is planned to be about three weeks and if my back seizes it will be a taxi ride home and the boat left wherever it is.
The headroom in a Norman 23 is given as 5'-11"in the specs on here.could any 23 owner confirm this please? The reason I ask is that a fellow moorer has had a 23 and said that he couldn't stand upright in the cabin although he looked about the same size as me (5'-9")
Thanks.

jud

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  01:34:21  Show Profile Send jud a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Harold. When I first bought my 23 the floorboards followed the shape of the hull and our dog kept skidding about on it(I had trouble with it after a couple of beers), but in the center of the cabin it was just under the 6 foot headroom. As we didn't need that much height I altered the floor so that it ran flat. We lost about 3" on the height but it was more comfortable for us(and the dog) to walk around inside.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  10:48:33  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My 23 has also had the curved floor replaced with a level one. I'm 6 feet tall and can't stand upright in the cabin. At the moment this is a minor inconvenience - I just go inside and find somewhere to sit! More of a problem is having to remember to stoop when going through the cabin doorway. I have seen photos of N23s with the curved floor and it looks very uncomfortable to me but of course, you would get used to it.
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  15:35:38  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My old norman 25 had the cabin floor in 3 sections with a flat strip down the centre and angled each side, I didn't find it much of an issue and worth the extra headroom gained, it was only sloped under the dinette and a thin strip by the galley if I remember rightly, I'm only 5'9" and could stand up straight, but a slight stoop when walking as you bob up and down a bit.
Unfortunately with boats headroom is an expensive commodity, sooner or later you will always whack your head on the bloody hatch, I still do from time to time on my princess.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000