Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Leaking front windows
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Magic Moments

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2021 :  02:34:33  Show Profile Send Magic Moments a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Norman 23 has leaking front windows, & after all the rain we have had this year the boat is somewhat damp!
I have tried silicone sealant around the window frames & glass but rain still gets in.
Amy advice please?

Brian Prentice

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2021 :  04:07:22  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silicon around leaks is only ever a temporary bodge, it can work if used in dry clean rubbers but not smeared on the outside.
Best bet is to remove and use new rubbers, is it ali framed or rubbered direct into the grp?

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2021 :  12:57:57  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree 100% with df,silicone is no use in a marine environment.
Is the water getting in between the frame and cabin,or between the glass and frame,or both?
If the frame it needs to be removed,cleaned up and re-sealed with non setting mastic.If the glass then it needs to be dimantled and new rubber seals fitted
There is an excellent post on here from some time ago on how to fit new seals to Norman windows,I think on the problem page.
A point in passing,if you have used silicone,then every last trace must be removed before re-sealing,because the old silicone will prevent anything sealing properly.
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2021 :  13:08:07  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just checked the problem page and the article about re-sealing windows is still there.
A point I forgot:some Norman window frames have drain slots in the bottom,could be worth checking that these are not blocked if your window frames have them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000