Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Out for a run
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2021 :  12:51:06  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A trip from Huddersfield to Dewsbury.
completely uneventful.
Boring old git arn't I!

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2021 :  14:36:55  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uneventful is a good thing with boats!

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

cliveshep

Thailand
1324 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2021 :  21:17:43  Show Profile Send cliveshep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Risen from Winter's ashes?

I miss my coastal boating but alas - money and regulations prevented it here.

Even mucking about in boats or boating about in muck would make a change but with temperatures in the mid 30's it is just too hot.

Have you divided your windscreen to make it fold down? Looks like it in the picture.

Finally living the dream!
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2021 :  04:09:46  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was nice to get out on the cut again.
Dewsbury is a nice spot.
The boat came with the windscreen as it is,don't think it folds as he bottom frames and the sides are screwed down.
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2021 :  05:08:49  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was another Norman 20 moored at Dewsbury and had the same window mod as mine.Replacing the side sliding windows with a single sheet of Perspex.The present owner hadn't done it,but it was obviously done for the same reason,leaks.
This is my second Norman 20 and they both had leaking side windows even with new felt seals.Rainwater seems to run quite readily into the bottom slide grooves,but because of the rather steep tumblehome and the felt seal partially blocking the drain slots,it comes in faster than it can run out,resulting in drips on your bedding.
Got chatting to the owner and comparing boats,and mine was nicer outside,his was nicer inside.He like me had fitted a Chinese diesel heater but his was the 8kw model,mine is the 5kw one.Even on it's lowest setting I am sure I could grow tomatoes in my cabin,he said his wife likes it warm!
It turned out that not only did he come from the same home town as me,but we went to the same school and lived one street away from each other.We never met because he was much younger than me.
Small world,and an enjoyable weekend.
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2021 :  05:44:03  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the 8kw chinaspachers are just a wild claim and actually a 4kw unit, on my 30' widebeam boat a 4kw roasts the living crap out of it.
The trick with the side windows is to have a strip of thin plastic or aluminium bonded along the bottom on the inside so water can run down the drains before it runs over the inside runner, doing that made a world of difference on my old norman 18, my 25 had ali strips screwed on as standard as did my RLM 31, opening windows is so much better when it's warm.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2021 :  06:05:00  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine has the Ali strips screwed to the bottom frame,but most of the threads in the frame were knackered and the Ali strip was a bit distorted probably due to being on and off many times,that it still leaked.
When the perspex needs replacing,I will look at putting the sliding windows back.
Go to Top of Page

philihun

United Kingdom
283 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2021 :  13:13:20  Show Profile Send philihun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Harold still can't get near you after a year waiting for the repair on the lock collapse nr Horbury. Tried for Ripon a week ago, swing bridge is knackered at Selby. I month later still not started. Aire and calder is completely closed for for the last 6 months . Stopping all sea boats going out or coming in at Goole. Rhodes- field lock nr Ripon has collapsed . Leaving over 200 boats trapped behind it in 2 Marinas. All this after paying full fees and no boating for best part of a year.This is just the North east Region. Happy boating folks.

pr hunt
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2021 :  17:01:20  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may be able to move East next week.Calder and Hebble has been on red up to last Wednesday,but is ok for the moment,although heavy rain is forecast for the weekend.
Figure of three locks are now open but with low water levels and Woodnook lock is now listed as open.If the Calder stays on green,you may be able to get up this way.
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2021 :  18:02:25  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bloody hell! And to think Adi never understood why I don't miss locks.
I'll stick to the broads....

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2021 :  04:39:41  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do envy you being able to have a cruise whenever you want.
The northern canals do seem to have suffered badly from numerous stoppages.Calder and Hebble,Aire and Calder,Leeds Liverpool,Rochdale,Huddersfield Narrow.
Even further south the Macclesfield and Shroppie have had stoppages.
Lets hope that things will improve and we can cruise the cut with whats left of this year.
Go to Top of Page

philihun

United Kingdom
283 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2021 :  10:46:47  Show Profile Send philihun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers for that Harold. Going out at Keadby up the Trent to Stockwith on Tuesday, then a week down the Chesterfield Canal.

pr hunt
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2021 :  09:51:12  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hope you take your brolly!
Thought about going of for a couple of days this week,but the rain yesterday and today put me off.Rumour has it that it will improve after Tuesday.
So went for a stationary cruise today.That is putting the heater and telly on,making a cup of coffee and listening to the rain on the canopy.The advantage is you don't have to do locks.I was sitting there quite happily watching the news,Israel and Palestine at each other and Indian Covid mutation and thinking I was glad that I re-sealed the windows and frames last year (a pig of a job) when my eye caught a glitening drop of water in the corner of one of the front windows.I thought thrice bugger I really don't want to take the window out,so I will use Captain Tolleys Ceeping Crack Cure as recommended by onother boater.It's thinner than water and is supposed to percolate into small cracks and seal them.Hope it works.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2021 :  03:59:55  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went out for a three hour cruise last week and got back to the marina, which is a private canal arm and a bit of a wind-tunnel. Reversed into my spot and made to step off, rope in hand. Then the wind gave a gust and started pushing the boat away while I had one leg on the boat and the other on the jetty. I did a sort of half-jump back onto the boat and put my foot through the left-hand cabin locker, wrecking it. So - a three hour cruise leads to the purchase of a sheet of ply, and four days either cutting, sanding, test-fitting or waiting for paint to dry. I'm sure all Norman owners will have had a similar payback.

Edited by - Tom Morgan on 19 May 2021 04:00:40
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2021 :  06:02:08  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not done that yet!
Perhaps use thicker ply this time,or er,lose a bit of weight.
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2021 :  06:43:37  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought,the distance from the gunwale to the locker top is probably bigger than my Norman 20.So a bigger distance to drop onto.
Perhaps a box or step of some kind would help getting in and out.
Also a centreline on the roofrail or a 3cleat with the ends in the cockpit are useful when mooring single handed,in that you can grab the end fairly quickly and step out hopefully before the boat has drifted away from the bank.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000