Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Outboard electrical power output
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

david67

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2020 :  22:52:49  Show Profile Send david67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evening Captains although this one maybe better addressed to engineers.
At the stern of the good ship Paon du Jour is a 15hp (ok stop giggling )
Mariner, incidentally at the helm there is an ancient mariner.
The outboard is charging the starting battery and a leisure battery which powers nowt but the stereo. The ancient mariner meanwhile just charges his glass.
Now comes the techy bit, if I were to install an 800w 12v electric heater and do the 40min meander from Coltishall to wroxham, pop in the pub for pint ( battery isolated ) would I have drained more from the batteries than the outboard charger had put in ?
Many thanks in advance , have a super Christmas.

All the nice girls love a sailor !!!!!!

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2020 :  07:40:30  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At 800w you'd get warm just sitting by the plug, that would be about 65A! I wouldn't plug that into my princess with 2x alternators.
Are you sure about the 800W as that seems a lot @ 12v?
I would imaging that an outboard charging system would struggle with any heating setup other than a gas/diesel blown air system as you'll only get around 10A with the engine flat out and that is before voltage drops between regulator and battery bank.
And there's nowt wrong with a 15hp mariner, I had one on my old Norman 25 and it was great motor for rivers.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2020 :  22:31:37  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mariner engines are I think are yamaha copies.
My Norman 20 has a 8hp Tohatsu and has a top speed (according to the Sumlog thing)of 8kts.
Can't find the alternator output,but I have a 5kw diesel heater and it copes with that.
It takes about 10amps for five minutes on the start up cycle,and just over 1amp on the low heat setting which is quite enough for a little Norman
Go to Top of Page

cliveshep

Thailand
1324 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2020 :  03:28:44  Show Profile Send cliveshep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To calculate battery amps of your heater divide the 800 watts by 12 volts and as you will have to run a 230/240 volt heater through an inverter which typically is only 85% efficient divide your answer by 0.85.

i.e. 800/12= 66.6666 recurring /0.85= 78.4314 amps.

A rule of thumb is divide watts by 10 for amps so 800/10=80

So you can plug in your 1000 watt inverter and watch your battery bubble!

OR you could buy a cheap second hand 1000w generator for under £200 here:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarke-Generator-1000-Watt-Generator-Power-lnverter/333808358567?hash=item4db88754a7:g:-3sAAOSwNupfQSbQ

Or you could install one of those (modified to suit BSS) Chinese diesel heaters as Mad Harold suggested.

Even cheaper and much more satisfactory option although 5kw on a little 20 is a bit excessive you could always turn it down I suppose.

And with Christmas approaching Paen de Jour ought to be called Dinde de Jour

Finally living the dream!

Edited by - cliveshep on 04 Dec 2020 03:38:27
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2020 :  07:16:26  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
240v was never mentioned Clive, but the chinaspacher is probably the way to go, but with eber/webasto exhaust hose and proper skin fitting along with proper fuel tank fitment and better quality fuel hose.
A 4Kw eber roasts the hell out of my 30 footer in the depths of winter (I hope so as I'll be onboard tonight) and my saloon has lots of window area to chill down, I have extra outlets either side of the berth so I can run a bit of spare ducting under the duvet which means we always get into a warm (well hot)and dry bed no matter how cold and damp outside.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

cliveshep

Thailand
1324 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2020 :  14:43:17  Show Profile Send cliveshep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Dave, you're right. I just made a false assumption but 800 watts is the same regardless - 66 amp with out factoring in losses at 12 volt, and 78 amp from the battery at 240 volt via inverter. Same-oh same oh - no such thing as a free lunch electrically either.

Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  08:12:16  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To minimise heat loss on my little Norman,I have "sort of" double glazed my windows using car window film.
Not peeled the backing off but stuck it to the inside window frames with double sided tape.
It is certainly an improvement most noticable
when the temperature is around zero.I am now going to do a more professional job by using thin perspex and magnetic tape so it can easily be removed for window cleaning.
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  09:40:47  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bet that reduces condensation as well, good plan.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2020 :  08:15:57  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reduced condensation,well yes and no.Front and one side window no condensation,but one side window does steam up a bit under the film.
I am guessing that there is a small leak somewhere around that window.
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2020 :  10:01:46  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steaming up a bit isn't really a big problem, it's the water that runs off the insides after a cold night of 2 adults and a dog breathing out loads of moisture, if it reduces that you are on a winner.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

cliveshep

Thailand
1324 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2020 :  00:09:55  Show Profile Send cliveshep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I blame the dog - make the dog sleep outside!

Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2020 :  04:53:16  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm,don't tell us what the two adults were doing to cause condensation!
No seriously,I have found why one window is steaming up under the window film.It is me!I didn't have enough film to completely cover all the windows,so with the steamy window I used two pieces and being temporary I only stuck the top and sides,leaving a gap at the bottom and a gap where the two pieces join.
Warm air is it would seem getting to the outer pane.
A point in passing.Before fitting the window film,any condensation running into the window grooves would drain outside through the drain slots in the bottom of the window frame.If yours has these drain slots (or drain holes) are they clear of muck?
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2020 :  05:09:02  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My sliding sections drain outside ok but a lot of the condensation forms on the frame itself, I use a karcher window vac to get a lot of it off especially in the saloon where the windows are huge areas, my screen has quite a steep slope which makes it a bit awkward as the vac doesn't like working upside down.
With a homemade lead those window vacs will charge off usb sockets nicely.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2020 :  06:28:05  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not had condensation on the window frames,but on another forum (CWF)it has been quite extensively discussed.
The suggestions were,adhesive sponge tape,or sticking draught excluder around the frame.It seems to be necessary to stop warm moist air touching the cold aluminium.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000