Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Chinese diesel heater
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2020 :  11:49:53  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Fitted a diesel heater unit earlier this year,and now just generally pottering around on the boat without going anywhere I switch it on and the boat is warmer than being at home.
However getting a bit worried because looking at it I am sure it will not comply with BSS rules.
For a start the fuel pipe is plastic and should be metal.The fuel tank is in the heater case and should according to BSS rules be vented and have a drain to overboard for spillage when re-fuelling.
The plastic fuel pipe could be replaced with copper brake piping and compression joints,and the tank remotely mounted in the cockpit,but involveandtipping the unit and a fair bit of work re-jigging the installation.
I think it may be easier to buy a new heater that will be easier to fit and easier to make BSS compliant.As they are less than £100 I think that is what I will do.
Having had heating in my boat,I now would not be without it.

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2020 :  10:45:14  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you'd be better with one of the eberspacher copies but you do need a decent exhaust fitting and the chinese exhaust hose is renowned for being low quality, eber/webasto exhaust hose is worth paying the extra for as you're less likely to be gassed, the pressed silencers are also not good on boats as they leak like sieves around the edges unless welded around.
Cold is better than CO poisoning.
Another possibility is fitting an outboard type bayonet fitting and using a portable outboard tank, while it's "in use" it's outside the bss scope and if you have a fire you can unclip it and lob it overboard, my first webasto setup passed like that.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2020 :  20:07:31  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply,the seperate heater,and tank is what I was thinking about.Your suggestion of using an outboard tank is a good one,especially if I mount it on the transom,will comply with the venting and overspill rule.
Have already on this heater fitted longer exhaust and inlet pipes both on hull fittings to outside,the exhaust fitting is a proper Eberspacher insulated one,essential on a grp hull.Have not used the silencer for the reasons you stated,but when I did try it,it made little difference to the sound.
Now that I have had a heater I must have gone soft,because I now wouldn't have a boat without heating.
when the weather is too 'orrible to go for a cruise (most days now) it is nice just to visit the boat,switch the heater and telly on and have a cup of coffee.
I would only be doing the same thing at home,so am quite happy on the boat.
Go to Top of Page

david67

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2020 :  21:01:15  Show Profile Send david67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought exactly the same one, fitted it, had exactly the same thoughts and removed it ! As you say they can be dismantled and components sited in different locations. Eventually I may mount the whole thing externally and duct the warm air in. I had the pressed steel silencer welded at the seems. Have you used a double skin exhaust port through the hull ?

All the nice girls love a sailor !!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2020 :  00:02:56  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have used a stainless exhaust through the hull fitting,just below gunwale height.It has two insulating discs (one inside and one out) it was listed on e bay as suitable for Eberspacher/Webasto.The combustion air inlet is a cheaper plastic one,both in the under sink cupboard.
The exhaust outlet fitting was £45.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000