Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Sad News - RIP Trevor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

df

United Kingdom
5986 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2020 :  21:00:47  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is with a heavy heart I have to announce the passing of our glorious leader Trevor, I can't give any more details other than he died in the middle of august, I wasn't going to pry for more details as I'm sure they will emerge when the family are ready.
I only found out today after trying to contact him about the website being down and drawing a blank so hunted through faceache for one of his sons.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk

IanM

United Kingdom
2236 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2020 :  21:59:29  Show Profile Send IanM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad :(
Go to Top of Page

trickyblue

73 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2020 :  22:19:49  Show Profile Send trickyblue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awful, RIP and heartfelt thanks for the existence of this place.
Thoughts are with his family.
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
223 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2020 :  11:28:04  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really sad news.He will be missed by all the people he has advised.
He leaves a space here that will be difficult to fill.
Go to Top of Page

cliveshep

Thailand
1324 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2020 :  18:13:39  Show Profile Send cliveshep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wondered why the site went down, asked on FaceBook but no one knew anything but never dreamt it was something like that.

No doubt you'll be passing on our condolences to the family - if you are in touch with them that is?

That is rather sad news.

So what will happen to the site and forum now Dave? Are you going to keep it going?

Finally living the dream!
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5986 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2020 :  18:55:23  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As it is Clive I have Leon's (one of his sons) ok to take over running the site, it was down as the hosting had expired so the account got locked, I covered the cost to get it unlocked as there's too much info here to just get deleted, it helps that I've had all the passwords and forum admin rights otherwise it would have just gone with no trace.
How we carry it on I'm not sure as the file structure is a complete nightmare to deal with, I'm not particularly keen to do much at the moment, maybe remove the for sale bits and add that into a forum category, the register is also a tricky bit.
I'm open to suggestions......

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

cliveshep

Thailand
1324 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2020 :  06:32:09  Show Profile Send cliveshep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm - I'm on a small pension so not sure can help with costs and all the stuff you spoke about I know nothing about - boats and buildings yes, I struggle with computers big time.

We just bought an all-in-one s/h all fully loaded except the vendor had kept the original licensed Windows 10 on it - clearly from a big company before because all the things you might want to do were locked out, like the web cam for example disabled under a secure setting I couldn't get past. T tried google etc and worked on it for 4 days but was unable to get the cam working, and couldn't even delete Windows. I got it to do a fresh install from MS but it kept the security settings and deleted all the pre-installed software.

In the end I took it to pieces, removed the HDD, stuck it in a caddy and used my laptop to format the "Oh my word", thus by-passing the security. But of course I now got to find software to reload it. I couldn't be trusted with a forum lol!

Suggest you ask all the members to see if you can get someone who understands that stuff who'll muck in to help.

Finally living the dream!
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5986 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2020 :  07:57:45  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fairness Clive Trevor couldn't be trusted with the forum, he broke it a couple of times...
The forum is the easy bit to look after, it's a nice tidy directory and a database file, it's the main site that has needed sorting as Trevor started using frontpage extensions that dumped it all in the root directory.
Cost wise the hosting package is probably way more than what is needed but it has to be on a windows server as the database is MS access, I may contact 1&1 and see if it can be downgraded, need to contact craftinsure as well as they were part funding it (the only advert shouldn't be free to a commercial concern).

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
223 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2020 :  09:51:25  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am happy to donate £20 to help with costs.
Does the site have a Paypal account?
If not can you give details of how to donate?
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5986 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2020 :  13:28:34  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very generous of you but no need to rush into any donation plans yet, it's covered till Feb and I have a possible cheapskate hosting plan in mind through my own broadband and a spare PC, it's hardly a high traffic site.
I don't know what the legal standpoint is with a nbas PayPal account.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Fred

2007 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2020 :  21:02:21  Show Profile Send Fred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’m so sorry and gutted to hear about Trevor’s passing. I knew he had been unwell but had no idea it was so serious. Bless him for all he achieved with this site and for all the knowledge, fun and friendly banter that it has facilitated over so many years.
Others here may know that Nigel Moore who was such an expert in boating legal matters and just like Trevor gave his time and advice so freely, also passed away in August.
Thank you so much Dave for your sterling effort in sorting and re-establishing the site. Hopefully it can continue into the future and keep us all informed and entertained and as a fitting tribute to Trevor.
Please think about establishing a facility for donations towards the costs.
RIP Trev - and thank you - we won’t forget you!
Go to Top of Page

Mfuller

121 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2020 :  21:04:34  Show Profile Send Mfuller a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very sad news. RIP Trevor.
Go to Top of Page

adi-n-chez

United Kingdom
1980 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2020 :  21:05:49  Show Profile Send adi-n-chez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad news Dave.

Without this site a lot of folks would still be looking for solutions.
Thats without all the banter over the years we have had that would have had most of the original members barred from other forums.

It seems a long time since myself & Chez last saw Trev aboard Leo at St Ives.

Lets remember the good times & thoughts to the family left behind.

Adi & Chez

Sewer Tubes ? I'd rather have a D**ncr*ft (Only Kidding)
Go to Top of Page

Tom Morgan

141 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2020 :  23:29:59  Show Profile Send Tom Morgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was very sad to hear the news. I've only been a member for two years, but have head great help and advice here, and Trevor was very kind and helpful to me when I started life as a Norman owner.
It would be shame to lose such a great resource.

Go to Top of Page

Revolvor

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2020 :  11:57:57  Show Profile Send Revolvor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vey sad news. Trevor was always very helpful when I contacted him. I send my condolances to his family.

I have learned a lot from this site since I first got my Norman 23. Thank you Dave for continuing to provide such a useful resource. As others have said, I sure people would make a contribution to on-going admin costs.

John

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5986 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2020 :  13:27:29  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all that have offered to help with site costs, however I'v been in touch with craftinsure and they are happy to continue with their support which I have to say pretty much covers the costs so no donations required.

Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000