Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Replacement windscreen specs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2021 :  12:49:57  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

One of the most obvious absences from my Norman Conquest is the top windscreen. Of Has anyone come across any original specs/plans for the Conquest that I can use to get a new one fabricated? If not, are there any supplies known to have tried and tested designs? Perhaps some of the canopy manufacturers listed on here?

The question of plans for the Conquest is also pertinent to my missing aft section, which has been chopped off at some point in the history of the boat.. Before investigating a custom canopy to go over the whole cockpit, I’d like to exhaust the possibility of replacing the aft section to restore the vessel’s original profile.

Thanks!

Piers

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2021 :  16:04:39  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you want to use the boat for Piers? Replacing the aft cabin (assuming we are right about it) won't add anything to the value and unless you have a need for a pretty small extra cabin it would use a lot of outside space.
After chopping the back cabin off my 25 I eventually sold it for £3k more than I paid for it, the previous owners said the cabin was great as you could chuck your junk in it, I took the idea that if you have that much junk on a fairly small boat it was better chucked in a skip.
If you want a good sunny weekend or day boat outside space is king and with a well designed canopy still good in crap weather.
I assume you are broads area in which case have a word with Trevor Preece at brundal http://www.boatwindowrepairs.co.uk/ he may be able to sort something.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2021 :  17:24:02  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by df

What do you want to use the boat for Piers? Replacing the aft cabin (assuming we are right about it) won't add anything to the value and unless you have a need for a pretty small extra cabin it would use a lot of outside space.
After chopping the back cabin off my 25 I eventually sold it for £3k more than I paid for it, the previous owners said the cabin was great as you could chuck your junk in it, I took the idea that if you have that much junk on a fairly small boat it was better chucked in a skip.
If you want a good sunny weekend or day boat outside space is king and with a well designed canopy still good in crap weather.
I assume you are broads area in which case have a word with Trevor Preece at brundal http://www.boatwindowrepairs.co.uk/ he may be able to sort something.

Yes, I do take your point on this, Smoggy. There’s a lot of space in my cockpit which brings plenty of benefits. My query is purely because I have half a mind on restoring the original profile of the boat, but not as a priority, and only if it were within the realm of reason. I’m very prepared to use the boat as is, and be satisfied with a custom canopy and plenty of extra room.

The windscreen is another matter, of course. Thanks for the link!

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2021 :  03:40:34  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a frame for the windscreen?If so, you could make a template from ply and get the toughened glass made from a glass merchant.
If there is no frame then the job is more awkward as you will either crawl over someone's Norman to accurately measure and get a frame fabricated.You might also consider making a frame from wood if you have the skill.
havn't seen any used windscreen frames for sale at all.
Go to Top of Page

Piers

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2021 :  13:15:38  Show Profile Send Piers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Harold

Is there a frame for the windscreen?If so, you could make a template from ply and get the toughened glass made from a glass merchant.
If there is no frame then the job is more awkward as you will either crawl over someone's Norman to accurately measure and get a frame fabricated.You might also consider making a frame from wood if you have the skill.
havn't seen any used windscreen frames for sale at all.

Hi Harold, no frame to go off so I think as you say it’s going to be a matter of crawling over someone’s boat to measure up! Thanks for the suggestions though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000