Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Norman 14
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

david67

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2021 :  15:33:07  Show Profile Send david67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've decided for financial reasons to sell my 20 conquest and get a little boat on a trailer as I get very little time for boating.
I've got my eye on a Dejon 14 which I understand were later to be manufactured by Norman.
I've read some horror stories of them being extremely unstable on the sea and have on several occasions caused loss of life.
I only intend using it on the Broads in the Stalham locality with a small tiller outboard until such time as I can get back to something bigger on a mooring.
Does anyone have any experience with them ?
Cheers , David.

All the nice girls love a sailor !!!!!!

cliveshep

Thailand
1324 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2021 :  21:55:21  Show Profile Send cliveshep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ignore the cuddy - they are NOT a cabin cruiser. People overload and over-engine them and swing them about madly or take them out in waters unsuitable for what is basically a small boat. They are only suitable for calm waters and are no way a sea-boat. So when the sea is like a lake with ripples they are ok but anything over 300mm waves and you need to take care. Having said all that - Stalham is fine and if you get into trouble there it is because you are a muppet!

Treat them as you would any 14ft open runabout - with care and sensible loading/manoeuvring and don't over-engine them, 40 hp max is more than enough and in fact 20hp will allow them to plane but tiller steering with bigger engines unbalances them - your weight sitting to one side right in the stern! For anything over probably 12hp I advise that you sit up front with a wheel and remotes just as you would in a speedboat.

The Broads are generally safe waters but for small boats a big blow can make places like Breydon Water very "lumpy" for small boats near the top of the tide and you should avoid attempting to go too far down the Yarmouth Town part of the Yare.

Finally living the dream!

Edited by - cliveshep on 21 Jan 2021 21:59:59
Go to Top of Page

david67

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2021 :  04:39:43  Show Profile Send david67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Clive, I hoped that to be the case.
I was thinking a little 5hp Chinese job really so I can just pop along for half hour turn around and come home again, certainly nowhere near Breydon water. Barton Turf in my Conquest was too much excitement for one day lol. The North Walsham and Dilham canal was another thought it is useable between Ebury Bridge Mill and Spa Common now and provided I can get a little boat in and out easily There are no fee's to pay.
I will look into remote conrol upfront though.
Many thanks, David.

Go to Top of Page

david67

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2021 :  04:41:31  Show Profile Send david67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
P.S. If we assume it was a latter model built by Norman I guess I can still be part of the group LOL

Go to Top of Page

david67

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2021 :  04:43:34  Show Profile Send david67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh one last question then I'll leave you in peace. Short or long shaft required ?
Many thanks, David

Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2021 :  05:32:13  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
several members have boats other than Normans,so I am sure you will still be welcome here.
I can understand you wanting a smaller easily launched boat,it is frustrating paying moorings on a boat that is not used very often.
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2021 :  05:54:16  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would guess longshaft but not certain, I know they are dear but something like the torqeedo would be cracking on the northern rivers as it would be silent.
Any boat owners are welcome here, I've not had a norman since 2006, Trevor hadn't had a norman for quite a while, and half the old faithfuls have moved on too.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2021 :  06:32:35  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just had a look at fleabay fishing boats for sale,and there is a Dijon 14 project with trailer for sale.Bidding presently at £300.
Boston Lincs.so probably close to you.
Go to Top of Page

cliveshep

Thailand
1324 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2021 :  09:53:24  Show Profile Send cliveshep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by david67

Oh one last question then I'll leave you in peace. Short or long shaft required ?
Many thanks, David

I would have said short shaft on that size boat and looking at pictures of various Dejons that seemed to be the case but on an American forum they thought they were long shaft. Best you can do is measure from transom top to bottom - around 15-16 inches is short shaft, 20 - 21 inches is longshaft.

One disturbing thing about the Dejons in the pictures, and I don't know how many variants there are, is that most do not have a motor splash well meaning any following sea would come straight over the back. Also before you buy consider comments, again from an American forum but they still count - one poster hated them with a vengeance because a Dejon 14 took 4 of his family, while another poster commented that he had one that was grossly unstable. That might of course be that is is multi-chine and only 14 feet anyway, a combination that can roll quite well.

If you are not already committed to buy I'd think long and hard before doing so, they do seem to have something of a bad reputation for stability although much of that might be down to higher than reasonable expectations for the boat coupled with inexperience. There are few really dangerous boats but plenty of ignorant and foolishly inexperienced skippers!

Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2021 :  11:09:01  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt you'll get much of a following sea on barton broad....

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

cliveshep

Thailand
1324 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2021 :  19:10:33  Show Profile Send cliveshep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While that is true the wash from one of those big cruisers stonking along could replicate that perhaps?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000