Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 NEW WOODEN STRIPS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave F

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  09:26:39  Show Profile Send Dave F a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seasons Greetings Boaters.
Has anyone renewed the two wooden strips on a Norman's hull,
If so, how easy do the old ones come off, how are the new ones attached to the hull, and what timber is the best to use for replacements.
Any advice much appreciated,
Regards,
Dave F. 31/12/2020.

Dave

df

United Kingdom
5984 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  09:51:45  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I did the ones on Haddocks revenge I changed them for rubber (edpm) D fendering and glued solid neoprene in the ends to seal, I ran strips of aluminium down the inside of the D with regular tapped holes with studs through and fitted nuts inside.
I'm sure the originals were just screwed with self tappers from the outside with wooden plugs over the screw heads.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

philihun

United Kingdom
283 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  13:13:18  Show Profile Send philihun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On my Norman 27 the strips were full length hardwood strips of i do know not. What i do know is i crunched the forward 12 inches of the lower one on one side. Cut it back about a metre, so it exposed 2 screws. Then Had to cut the screws out with a drill and a disc cutter, Result 2 old holes with screw inside .Covered with sealant then drilled 2 more holes to fit a 1 metre strip. Unless you are a real enthusiast, you will spend a lot of time and money to gain bugger all in value, plus they don't work that good anyway.

pr hunt
Go to Top of Page

Dave F

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2021 :  08:48:31  Show Profile Send Dave F a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks both. I may just tidy up the last meter towards the stern, which are rotton. The rest I could probably get away with a good varnish.
Many thanks
Dave F

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000