Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 Rotten :(
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mfuller

121 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2021 :  05:21:50  Show Profile Send Mfuller a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey All,

Well it seems the boat was full of water (whilst on hard standing!) without me realising it. A lot of the wood is now rotten, although truth be told I think most of it was rotten anyways and just got the push it needed to disintegrate.
Not looking forward to fixing this mess. Think I'm going to bodge it to try and get another few years out of her and maybe look at a replacement. We really would be better suited to a day boat as it's only used on the river that we live next to, and there is only a day's cruising on it (about 12km).
I'm thinking of using some hardwood battening to support the floor, coated in black shit (technical term for something like bitumen) held down with maybe Sikaflex.
Need to remake the threshold to the cabin and toilet. Remake toilet floor.
The two bulkheads are rotten at the bottom.. going to use wood hardener on the bits I can get to and attach some marine ply for support.
It won't be pretty, but hopefully will enable us to get a few more years.
Not what I was hoping to find just before the season starts and lockdown ends!

Here are some pictures of the devastation as I know y'all like photos :)

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2021 :  09:13:27  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first four pictures do look a bit yuk!
But the others look ok.A quicker and easier way could be to simply fit "duck boards"the slatted thin planks fastened to cross pieces.If you are only using it as a day boat you won't really need a luxury fit out,just somewhere to sit and brew a cuppa.
I would be interested to see how you get on.
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2021 :  09:15:30  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The aft cabin on my old norman 25 was like that, don't even thing of sorting it the way I did.....

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000