Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 E10 petrol
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mad Harold

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2021 :  07:38:03  Show Profile Send Mad Harold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems from September that E10 petrol will replace E5.
Reading my outboard manual,E10 is ok,but to be aware of certain points.
1,corrosion of metal parts
2,Deterioration of rubber and plastic parts
3,Fuel permeation through rubber fuel lines
4,Gumming up of carburettor if fuel left in for any length of time.
As E10 absorbs moisture it recommends fitting a water seperating filter.
Seems if leaving the boat for any length of time draining the carb would be a good idea and draining the fuel hose.

cliveshep

Thailand
1324 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2021 :  21:25:16  Show Profile Send cliveshep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: draining - you should pull of the fuel line and run the engine dry anyway if leaving your boat, but all this means is either pull the fuel line off the tank or take it off and putting the engine end into the tank filler squeeze the bulb until nothing comes out.

Outboards, being fairly small on canal boats, have consequently small jets especially slow running or idle jets and these little buggers gum up easily so running an engine dry before leaving the boat is a good thing to do anyway as standard good practice.

Nothing to do with boats but on a similar vein ditto with lawn mowers (NO - NOT the electric ones Mr Flint), strimmers, hedge cutters and chain-saws, if no petrol tap then empty the tanks and start up and let them stop themselves. Then next year or in a month or so's time they'll be easy to start again.

Finally living the dream!
Go to Top of Page

cliveshep

Thailand
1324 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2021 :  21:32:21  Show Profile Send cliveshep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an aside and I stand to be corrected (note an extreme case of modesty here?) I do believe E10 means it has 10% anhydrous ethanol in the petrol? Here in the land of smiles we call it Gasahol and use it all the time.

The ethanol added is not cheaper than the petrol it displaces and it comes from a variety of crops which in themselves take up land formerly virgin rain forest but hey ho - the Woke Generation have pronounced it to be green and they know everything don't they?

Finally living the dream!
Go to Top of Page

philihun

United Kingdom
283 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2021 :  14:21:09  Show Profile Send philihun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drax power station near my home, at one time burnt 40,000 tons of coal per week to feed the grid. In the 1990's they spent £1 billion to capture the sulphur from the chimney to eliminate acid rain fall out. Over the last few years it has received a £500 million quid subsidy per year to stop using fossil fuels, ie coal. It now burns trees. This is not a conspiracy theory . I spent 10 years spread over 40 years as a contractor on that power station.

pr hunt
Go to Top of Page

pete-preston

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  11:33:27  Show Profile Send pete-preston a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to remind any owner with a petrol engine (outboard or inboard ) that E10 petrol will be on sale at most filling stations from now on.So now is a good time to replace all the old rubber fuel lines and don't leave the fuel tanks full over winter as they will absorb even more water from the air and develope even more problem's.

Regards. Pete-preston

p summerton
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  11:41:41  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also drain the carb float bowl and fuel pump fully before leaving over winter.
Best thing is to run a small amount of a fuel like Aspen through at last use and it will keep it good and likely run well first pull next season.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

jud

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2021 :  01:04:54  Show Profile Send jud a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just a thought, but is there some kind of fuel additive like Redex or similar that we can put in the tank to counteract the side effects of the new stuff? Not in the car obviously!

Edited by - jud on 03 Sep 2021 01:06:31
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5990 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2021 :  10:30:17  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just going for super unleaded is probably as cheap as adding any type of snake oil for general usage, it's usually labeled as E5 but is often 0% ethanol but I don't think there is an official standard below E5 and they have to allow for traces in transport.
For a long over winter period though aspen is hard to beat although pricey, it has a 5 year shelf life once opened, I always had problems with my chainsaw until I switched over as it's only occaisional use but now a quick prime up and it will go and run properly every time however long it's sat.
I've cleaned a few gummed up carbs and it's hard work to get them properly clear without allowing for the effects of ethanol.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000