Full Screen | Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Norman Boats
 Well My Norman has ...............?
 What is this stuff called?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikeb

90 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2014 :  20:18:03  Show Profile Send mikeb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to replace some of this on my N20. It's the edging strip/capping that goes around the door apertures (both cabin door and toilet door by the looks of it).

Does it have a proper name, and where can I buy it/something similar?

df

United Kingdom
5991 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2014 :  20:31:57  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the proper name is 'wood', it won't be cheap though, it doesn't grow on trees you know.....

That T section is probably two pieces joined together, I doubt norman did any fancy shaping like that, off to your local timber merchant for some nice looking hardwood of about the right size.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

mikeb

90 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2014 :  21:28:26  Show Profile Send mikeb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspected it might be, er, wood. I can't see any evidence of a join though, so if it is two pieces it must be bonded together very neatly. I was hoping to buy something pre formed that would do the job.
Go to Top of Page

greenmills1314

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2014 :  23:27:53  Show Profile Send greenmills1314 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi mikeb
I have had to make some of this for my 23. Your right the original is machined from one piece of mahogany but I decided this was too wasteful so made two 5 foot lengths up from rectangular stock sized to the original and then glued and clamped with waterproof glue.
Cut to length they are now installed forming the door frame attached to the edge of the bulkhead ply. It works fine.

Paddy

Clanky tiff
Go to Top of Page

df

United Kingdom
5991 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2014 :  07:40:38  Show Profile  Visit df's Homepage Send df a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would imagine something like iroko would be cheaper than mahogony, thats what I did my engine bearers in, still not cheap though.

NBAS--The communal colostomy bag of the boating community.
Visit leomagill.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

trevork

3949 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2014 :  13:41:10  Show Profile  Visit trevork's Homepage Send trevork a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or try a reclaimed timber yard and look in the scrap pile. Amazing how you can transform an otherwise piece of firewood with a plane and elbow grease!
Go to Top of Page

Deano

United Kingdom
1843 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2014 :  17:26:39  Show Profile  Visit Deano's Homepage Send Deano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trevork

with a plane and elbow grease!

or a router!!!

Dean - Boating on the Great Ouse.
Freeman 32 "Liberty"
See the photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/54758027@N00/
Go to Top of Page

Peter Walker

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  17:31:58  Show Profile Send Peter Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi
I'm doing a major rebuild of my N22 and I was put off by the price of Teak Sections! (Have a look at K J Howells for some good stuff — at scary prices!)http://www.kjhowells.com/catalogue_technical_download.html
My solution has been to purchase a lot of English Oak narrows from a sawmill and plane then router them to shape. Oak has really good durability to resist rotting - better than some things like iroko and I prefer the paler colour myself.

Norman 22 on the river Avon, Warwickshire
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© N.B.A.S. 2020 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000